Friday, May 9, 2008

What do vegetarians eat anyway?

Friday was another fun-filled kiosk day. Actually, strike that. There really was no point in being there on the third day. There was barely any traffic to the kiosk. At least this gave me the chance to socialize with a senior member of our department. I learned a lot! I woke up early that morning to make a salad to bring to the kiosk. I had to be there for 8am… that’s early for me! Jeez. I can’t believe I did kiosks in the winter where I had to be there for 7am!

Anyhow, I totally pulled this salad recipe out of my ass. It's amazing how sleep deprivation + a fridge full of tasty vegetables can equal "lots of culinary creativity in the morning". It tasted pretty good when I left. Lucky for me, I found out, later that afternoon, that this salad gets better with age. It’s magical! Not to rub it in anyone’s face again but… this one is going straight into the ebook too! I just need to tweak it a bit. It reminded me of this marinated artichoke dish I used to make.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I got to leave work early and I got home and used my Holosync for the first time. I definitely agree that something’s going on while I meditate using the Holosync. I feel in a very deep state of relaxation. That being said, I was only able to do 10 minutes of it. That’s pretty good though; usually I get antsy after 2 minutes. Maybe with time, this will help me mediate for longer. I’ll never forget, when I was younger… there used to be this woman whose daughter was friends with my sister. I used to get invited over (I had no friends!) sometimes; she had a property by the lake so it was great in the summer. Incidentally, she was the first vegetarian I had ever met. She was brilliant too. I also think she was the first adult to ever speak to me like I was an adult. I became enamored of her lifestyle. This woman could meditate for four hours straight. To this day, this still blows me away. Hopefully I’ll get there someday.

Funny side story: when my sister’s friend would come to my house, my mom would be at a loss as to what to cook for a vegetarian so she would just make French fries every time. It was the only vegetarian thing she knew how to make. I’ll never forget Courtney asking my sister and I: “So… do you guys ALWAYS eat French fries?

Hehehehe. Nothing’s changed. My mom still has no concept of what a vegetarian eats.

Today, this vegetarian had:

1.5L cilantro smoothie
1/4 watermelon
1 very tasty herbed marinated salad (no dressing needed)
A few honey dates
1 fattoush salad with creamy sweet garlic dressing
2 apples
water
enzymes/probiotics/leaky gut formula

- Ben

2 comments:

Hanlie said...

Unfortunately the myth still persists that vegetarianism is a compromise as far as taste and enjoyment goes... Little do they realize that without seasoning and flavourants most mainstream foods today would taste like cardboard, while you don't HAVE to season raw foods.

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

That fattoush salad must be awesome!
Is that going in your e-book?
That's funny about the fries.
Pixy Lisa