Saturday, May 3, 2008

Off to see the 'rents

Wakefield's covered bridge


Well, today I got up early and did a lot of housecleaning. I needed to do some very badly. Lots of dishes were piling up. My sister picked me up and drove me to Wakefield to visit my parents for the weekend. I both resented going there and wanted to go at the same time. Visiting my parents is not always a pleasurable experience; unfortunately my parents don’t always encourage me to feel positive about myself.

My mother was questioning my finances again. She does this out of fear but… I wish she could just realize that I’m an adult and I am capable of making my own decisions. I’ve lived on my own for almost a decade now. It’s time to let go. I think I may have a conversation with her soon about the inappropriateness of asking me about my finances.

My father had the “World fishing network” on non-stop. You know, if he came over to my place… I think I would have the moral decency not to play “Pridevision” or another channel that I would realize that my guest would not particularly enjoy. Oh well. What can you do? I never really got people watching fishing shows on the tele… it’s like people watching golf on the tele… I just think it’s so boring. :P

I brought my vitamix with me and will be using it to make myself some “frozen grape yogurt” tomorrow morning. I TOTALLY get why people travel with their Vita-mix. I know that if I moved to a deserted island (with solar panels), it would be one of the 3 things I bring with me.

I’m doing lots of positive affirmations nonetheless, especially in that twilight zone between sleep and waking life.

Today I had :

1.5L Sarma’s cilantro shake
A few handfuls of pistachios
Zucchini noodles with Ben’s tasty pesto
Flax crackers
Spinach salad with bold strawberry dressing
2 organic apples

Oh… I’m also very happy to announce that 3 recipes from my raw food workshop have been posted on my crunchy conspiracy blog. I’m looking forward to creating a cohesive look for that blog and this one… that should be coming before the end of the week… so keep your eyes peeled!

- Ben

2 comments:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

When I go home, my dad has FOX news on non-stop with yelling conservative madness at the highest volume possible. Drives me insane! At least fishing is QUIET mostly.
Thanks for posting the recipes. I'm making sushi tonight or sometime soon. I'm really into shitake mushrooms right now too, so I will have to try that as well.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Michelle said...

I really only go to my dad's house on Easter and every Easter he sits in "his chair" and watches golf like it is going to change the world. Last year he actually had the nerve to bring his plate in there to watch while he ate. I marched in there and shut the TV off. I told them that he needed to be at the table with his grandchildren. I really can't believe I didn't it but I REALLY couldn't believe he listened! I never saw him eat so fast though.

I appreciate your comments about your mom. Being a mother of teenagers I can relate to your mom's side on this one so I am so glad to see your side and realize that it is sooo important to let go. Ben, it can be so hard. I know my boys will always be my boys and I will always remember them as the sweet little toddlers running around, loving me and making me smile, no matter how old they are.

Right or wrong, I can see where the concern may be coming from...love mixed with fear. That doesn't make it any easier on you I know, but compassion might help you talk with her about it in a different state of mind. I hope I am not overstepping here. You know how much I love you!!! :o)

xo sweet dreams! xo