Friday, May 23, 2008

Babies!!!

I haven't published anything in a week! Holy moly! Does anyone hate me now? :) Well you can't hate me for long because I have the cutest pictures of baby Canadian Geese!!! :)

Yep! That's right! There are Canadian Geese that hang out by our workplace (did I mention I work in the coolest building in Ottawa? It's an ultra modern building built on an island in the middle of a river! There's a good picture here.)... and some of the geese had babies!!! There are two couples that are denizens of the island; one couple didn't have babies yet... I keep saying to my coworkers that they're the gay couple! :)

Anyway... the babies are super cute and fluffy. We hung out there today and fed the ducks, geese and birds some bread. It was really cute!!! The Canadian geese would literally eat right out of our hands. Sometimes they would bite our fingers inadvertently but it didn't hurt at all... it was a very gentle bite! :)

Ummm... It was an interesting week. I had the best three-day weekend ever. I spent most of the third day cleaning because my sister was planning to sleep over on Tuesday night. She had a government exam early Wednesday morning and she had a late class on Tuesday. Ergo, instead of going all the way back to the outskirts of town and back, it made sense for her to just crash at my place.

I made my top secret pesto with zucchini prima pasta. She was blown away. She took pictures of it and sent them to her boyfriend. Hahahaa. She said that this former co-worker of mine's (my sister and I used to work for the same airline) response to hearing I've gone raw was "well that's lazy". LOL!!! I laughed so hard. My sister was going to make a point to show her the picture she took of the pasta and tell her it took an hour to do. Does "raw" really conjure up images of people feasting on baby carrots or something? Dear lord!

I cheated a bit this week on the raw thing; I hate a few breath mints (seriously... raw breath mints anyone? I've tried munching on parsley for this but it just makes it worse when it gets stuck in your teeth) and some tropicana orange juice (pasteurized shit). Not major stuff... but worth mentioning.

Also, I think Tuesday or Wednesday... I caved and used some steroid cream on some psoriasis patches I had in a really painful spot; right in the fold of the arm by the armpit. Ouch! I've never had it there before... but juice feasting seems to have moved things around; as some spots healed, new areas that were never affected seemed to flare up (specifically the upper chest). I'm not sweating it... I have tremendous faith in my new guru. I also noticed this week that my legs were healing out of nowhere. That was encouraging!

This morning, I woke up inspired by all the goodies in my fridge and made the best lunch I've ever brought to work. Coworkers were impressed. It was basically a raw twist on a stir fry I used to make... with bold flavors of dark miso, ginger and orange. Sweet!!! It was so good! Even one of the directors tried some of the sauce and was really impressed at my culinary skills.

Don't worry... that's another one for the cookbook (which is manifesting really quickly... be patient!) :)

This weekend, I'm going to try to make a bread reminiscent of my favorite cooked version: lemon/rosemary focaccia. I hope I do it justice. I have a general idea in my mind about how to go about it. Hopefully I can pull this off. If it works, I'll be posting the recipe on A Crunchy Conspiracy.

Have I mentioned how much I love the raw curried carrot soup on goneraw.com? Mmmm! I could live on that. When I make it, I use fresh ginger, lots of cracked peppercorns and a curry powder made of curry, tumeric, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon. I like to add some finely chopped fresh pasley at the end along with some Hawaiian clay rock salt. I also tend to use a bit more carrots than this calls for. :) Try it out when you get a chance, it's easy and wicked tasty!

Missed all you guys!

- Ben

3 comments:

Penni said...

I am so inspired by all of your incredible suggestions! I think that curried carrot soup sounds amazing. You so must do a raw uncook book!!

Hanlie said...

I've missed you! Those ducklings are so cute!

Have a great weekend, Ben!

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Awww, you waited till I got back to post! How sweet of you.
My nephew brought me fresh ginger and fresh tumeric from Hawaii, so I might have to make that soup.
The little geese are so cute, and I love the fact that they eat out of your hand. That's so cool!
I have a 3-day weekend this weekend to finish my vacation. Yipppeee!
XO
Pixy Lisa