Saturday, June 7, 2008

Embracing my newfound vata dosha


I don't know why I never looked into Ayurveda before. It makes just so much sense. I realized that I owned Gabriel Cousen's book "Conscious eating" which thoroughly explains how to balance your doshas. I realized I was doing a lot of things wrong which contributed to the unbalance in my body.

Gabriel provides a list detailing which foods balance vata and which create an unbalance. What have I been doing wrong? Lots! Mushrooms, raw onions, celery and leafy greens can call create an unbalance for vatas. What balances the Vata? Well carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, dates, bananas. It's very interesting. Also, I theorize that the reason why my last month of juice feasting didn't bring about much improvement was because watermelons create unbalances for vatas and I was drinking TONS of watermelon juice.

This is very very interesting. What's more interesting is that the description of typical vata people fits me to a tee! Artistic penchants, impulsive, lack of focus, easily overwhelemed, worry, etc... these are all typical vata traits.

I'm finding this just so fascinating. I'm thrilled that I can further tweak my diet to improve my health from another perspective. I was thinking yesterday as I was cooking squash in my wok how this may be the final step. I've learned so much from whole foods, alkaline diets, juice feasting, macrobiotics, raw foods and ayurveda.... Maybe the key for me lies in an intricate balancing act of all practices. I just need to figure out what works for ME.

I don't want to give anyone any cravings but... I can honestly say that eating cooked sweet potato and squash was VERY tasty and I think really appeased my vata. Vatas are supposed to eat warm, dense, oily foods. Yum yum.

I'm going to try to do raw all day and cooked dinners. I think that should work for now. We'll tweak that if we need to later. :)

- Ben

8 comments:

loulou said...

Hello stranger! I'm a Vata, too and I do love the warm, dense, oily foods that you mention... but they don't love me :( baked sweet potato with a big green salad is a favourite when I need something warm and dense.
Good to hear you're progressing on your journey to health. Hope you find the balance you need :)
xxx

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

I'm going to have to take a look at Gariel's book again. I know I'm like 51% Kapha, but I can't remember what my other dosha is. I will have to re-take the test.

My friend is vata, and she tried eating all raw and it really threw her off balance. She eats very healthy, but she cooks her veggies for dinner and really thrives on her diet.

Good for you for searching, experimenting and finding what works for you.

Pixy Lisa

MiandO said...

Hey-ya Ben!

Thank you for your "thank you" comment on my blog. You are so cute! I am confident that your guru will guide you in a balanced direction. Keep in mind that you were on such a long cleanse that your body chemistry has radically changed, therefore it may respond differently to the typical vata foods than a vata person who has not cleansed. Just something you and she should keep in mind and in perspective!
Did she tell you what your other dominate element is? Typically people have one VERY dominating dosha and one that is more dominate than the others but not as dominate as the first. Just curious. For example, I am pitta (fire) AND Kapha (earth) with a need of more of you (vata-hehe). So you better get your cute vata bum down here asap. We balance each other out! :)
Please keep in touch!
xxkyle

Michelle said...

Sounds like you are on another journey of discovery. Good for you. I wish I could figure out wich dosha I am. I think I am mostly pitta but when I think back to what I was when I was young I really think I was vata so I wonder.

Hope all is well.

xoMichelle

Hooked and Booked VT said...

Hey Ben,

Getting worried about you!! Hope you are well. Drop a line when you can.

xxkyle

Lisa said...

Hi Ben, a long overdue "hello" from lisa down under. I hope you're well and enjoying your summer. How has life been with the incorporation of ayurveda principles? You missing JFing? hehe :-)
Lotsa love LISA x

Anonymous said...

i'm worried.. where are you?

Lisa said...

Ben, Ben, where for art thou Ben? I's worried - drop me a line please.